Tumblewords

Fractals Photos Poetry Prose Watercolor

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

D for ABC Wednesday


ABC Wednesday offers the letter D for this week...Thanks!



DOOR

Screen doors never crossed my threshold of like - oh sure, they sometimes kept insects at bay and generally cats and birds didn't make their way inside. But the doors did bang shut to bruise an elbow and catch many a heel with the slam-bang closer while the screens invariably attracted pushy hands which refused to use the handle.

I invented my own. And I love it.
I've used this method for a baker's dozen of years.
A sheer curtain hangs in the door jamb by a tension rod to allow the view, light and fresh air through the entry while deterring bugs, birds and stray cats. It moves a bit in the breeze. Too much? A length of chain in the bottom hem keeps it more stable. It's easy to put up and remove (night and morning), washable and silent while at the same time it fascinates children and tickles old friends.

When not in use, the ends of the tension rod slip through small brass rings attached to the inside wall behind the house door and my screen door pretends to be a floor to ceiling painting which can be changed for a couple of bucks.

Did I mention that I love it? It is one of my favorite home decorating thingies.


~~~♥~~~♥~~~

25 comments:

Anna said...

Oh what a delightful door -just perfect for entering and exiting with a flourish :)

Mara said...

It looks great! I need to find a system that keeps my cats in as well as other cats out. I used to have a screen door with chicken wire and flyscreen. But they changed the lot and it didn't fit anymore...

anthonynorth said...

A great idea, and artistic, too.

photowannabe said...

Now, thats a clever thing to do. I like your style.

Sylvia K said...

What a great idea! I love it! And it looks great!

Anya Padyam said...

That is indeed a beautiful door:)

I am with you on the screen doors, banging and elbow bangs etc.

You found the perfect solution;)

Nice one for ABC Wednesday!

Irene said...

It's also a favourite home decorating thingie of mine.

James said...

Very cool. I did door too. ;-)

Sistertex said...

Love this idea, soft and swishy as it sways in the breeze, but then that would be good for 'S' I guess.
Very nice, I really like it.

Hildred said...

What a lovely idea, - I think this kind of door raises all sorts of anticipation as to what might be on the other side.

EG CameraGirl said...

Hey, it works and is attractive too. ;-)

Mari said...

Useful and beautiful. Original. Have to try...

Janie said...

Excellent idea! I have a door that could use just such a decorating thingie!

Reader Wil said...

You are right it: looks decorative! My daughter in Australia, however, must have screen doors and windows to keep the snakes out and mozzies too. We, here in the Netherlands don't need them always, though at the moment with all the wasps, we need them.
Thanks for your visit. Have a great day!

Rune Eide said...

Neat idea - thank you for the rip!

Joanna said...

What a great idea. Nice post.

April said...

Your door has a very nice "open" summery look and feel to it.

Roger Owen Green said...

I swear I had a small sofa just that color which I ended up giving away when I got married and there wasn't enough room. It was the first sofa I ever bought, as opposed to getting hand-me-downs. (sigh)

Anil P said...

Beautiful creation to look at.

In central India screen doors are fixed in the summers and watered, cooling the breeze blowing in in the baking summer. Scented water, fragrances wafting in through the screen door.

Q said...

I love this idea.
Anil offered an excellent idea for cool and refreshing doorways with the fabric. I just might have to make myself a fabric door this Autumn...
Thanks for the inspiration.
Sherry

Amy said...

Doors can be like fences or walls - your solution is very freeing and confident.

jay said...

That looks like a jolly good idea! I like that you can make it into 'artwork' when it's not in use, too!

Bradley Hsi said...

I have not thought of Door for "D". what marvelous choice, a thing that we see and use everyday.

Rambling Woods said...

That is really clever and much prettier...

Dragonstar said...

I've always liked the idea of screen doors, which don't exist over here. Reading what you say, maybe I'm better off without them! I love your Decoratively Draped curtain.