Tumblewords

Fractals Photos Poetry Prose Watercolor

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Tacoma Bridge of Light



as dawn scumbles the night
universal colors rise
worked by heat, blown by pipe
Chihuly's artistry of bold

a thousand dyes blend
waxy strands of primaries
hug rounds of gossamer glass
Chihuly's artistry of bold

a thousand scrambled facets
low empty bowls upended
akin to jellyfish suspended
Chihuly's artistry of bold

like Bellagio's decor
kaleidoscopes of gold
cast glitter on the floor
Chihuly's artistry of bold




Fractal created in Fractal Explorer by Sue.

Glass has fascinated me for eons, or maybe a little less than that. Dale Chihuly is one of my favorite artisans - it amazes me to watch glassblowers work from his rapidly sketched charcoal lines to create a diaphonous and exquisitely colored object. Follow the link if you'd like to see art of Chihuly.


Totally Optional Prompt: And what is a kyrielle? Briefly, a poem made up of four-line stanzas (any number of such stanzas) where the last line of each stanza is the same. Suggestion: write a free-verse kyrielle that retains the four-line stanza structure and the repetition.

15 comments:

Stan Ski said...

What an amazing process!

anthonynorth said...

The form beat me, as they usually do, so I went optional for mine.
Yes, glassblowers can create some spectacular artforms. You captured it perfectly.

Gemma Wiseman said...

So many beautiful images tumbling together! My favourite must be the exquisite "gossamer glass"!

paisley said...

so often i learn from the vast wellspring of your knowledge thru your poetry... thank you for being there,, and returning to us,, when i had thought i had lost you for sure........

Andy Sewina said...

Love this, of course I had to check out Chihuly and... Amazing!

Linda Jacobs said...

Wow, oh wow! Thaks for the link to his site. His work is amazing!

Your poem really captures the exquisiteness of his creations!

Beautifully done, Sue! Happy Thanksgiving!

Tiel Aisha Ansari said...

I saw the Chihuly exhibit at the Bellagio too, it was jaw-dropping. I think the refrain ties the images together very well here, nice!

Anonymous said...

This is a very original thought. I enjoyed it. Cheers.

Q said...

Dear Sue,
Chihuly's work is amazing and this poem, tribute, is also amazing!
Chihuly creates works of art with blown glass you make art with words. They are sculpted, stretched and steamed into images and forms. Thank you.
Sherry

anthonynorth said...

A second visit from me to let you know I've got something for you on my blog.

Anonymous said...

I've never heard the word 'scumbles' before. :)

Whitesnake said...

I have no idea what style my writing is or takes and most times I have no concept of others, I just sometimes love to read it........

Does it really matter?

Anonymous said...

I never made it to the exhibit but have always marveled at his wonderful work. Glass blowing is an amazing process. I thought your poem worked very well to capture some of the "light".

Anonymous said...

I, too, love glass and I have been fascinated by Dale Chihuly since I saw a TV special years ago on the glass chandeliers project he did in several countries with so many different collaborators. It was only then I realized a postcard I bought years before from my local museum was of glass globes in green grass - by Chihuly!

Your poem is a great echo of the ever-changing combinations of color that his work provides.

Doe said...

i've always been fascinated with glass- stained glass is perhpas the only reason i go to church-
and the fractals world never stops if you think abt it!!!
thanks for sharing ;)