Tumblewords

Fractals Photos Poetry Prose Watercolor

Saturday, October 17, 2009

Junk for Sunday Scribblings

 Sunday Scribblings posts: The prompt for this week is: Junk or Spam.




Junk? Maybe. But it's memory to me. Full to overflowing, my house is memorable, perhaps. Messy, for sure.

The six-year-old who visits here claims that I should get organized, but his eyes light up when he ventures into one of the storage rooms. A room which can only be browsed by carefully following a tiny trail through myriad open boxes across a floor covered with just put it here for now clutter.

'It makes me feel creative,' he confesses while digging through art brushes, old paintings, a series of palettes and watercolors, assorted books, magnetic word kits that spell poetry on metal plates taped to old tile boards, paper of all sizes and colors, a paper cutter that's sharp enough to sever fingers (or slash a robe – I have proof), tiles, magnets, glues and tapes, acrylic paints, fabric paints plus fabrics, strings of beads, blank canvas bags waiting for magic, a spinning card rack, face paints, sidewalk chalk, rocks, spare swimming suits, blank t-shirts, CD's yearning to hold home-made movies, ribbons, mirrors, frames, glues, pipe cleaners and left-over dowel sticks that turn into a young neophyte drummer's magic when they coax rhythm from an oatmeal box plus a biscotti tin and several new cans of PlayDoh.

I try to look at the bright side. Yeah, it's junk. But it sometimes makes me, too, feel creative.

*The fractal was created in Apophysis, resized in Irfanview.*

♥♥♥

20 comments:

anthonynorth said...

Mind tools. we need them around.

Lucy said...

sounds like fun junk!

Linda Jacobs said...

Oh, that list of junk is delicious!

Patti said...

Sounds like creative heaven to me!!!

Michelle said...

We all need some creative junk around us. Mine is piles of fabric for when I'm in a sewing mood.

Old Egg said...

Junk as a word has got a bad name, especially when reading your piece of how beautiful it can be.

PS the Pratsie said...

some junks are surely creative !!

Anonymous said...

This piece made me smile, as I have boxes filled with creative "junk" too, that I am unwilling to part with because someday I just might do something fun with it. Perhaps one day I'll have grandchildren who discover the possibilities.

if said...

I understand and agree with your words...junk maybe a very personal matter..:)

b said...

I loved the glimpse into your room of treasures. And, of course, it would take a six year old to see the beauty of it all.

b

http://torristravels.blogspot.com/2009/10/one-mans-junk-sunday-scribblings.html

Heliotropism said...

One person's junk is another person's treasure rings very true. Sometimes we see things, when viewed individually, as junk. However, when we combine the pieces what we have is a masterpiece.

I thoroughly enjoyed this!

keiths ramblings said...

I like your junk!

Dee Martin said...

I love your point of view on this - good junk. I want to come play at your house :)

Americanising Desi said...

your junk is commendable ;) i mean the prompt!

Click The JUNK I need to Rid oFF!

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

I love the way you look at it. Think you can convince my mom of the worth of the stuff around here for me?

poefusion said...

i have a lot of those memories floating around here too. i can't seem to get rid of things easily. hope all is well.

missalister said...

I’m with the six-year-old. Junk? Sounds like jewels heaven to me!

Jennifer Hicks said...

i totally get this! someone is always telling me what not to cherish....it's all relative, right? I guess as long as we have our roots in our bodies (which create our memories) we're doing ok....

Chapter Forty said...

Yours isnt junk, its your tools. But I want to know more about the slashed robe.???

Quiet Paths said...

A priceless gift to a six year old. I say: clutter away, lady.