Tumblewords

Fractals Photos Poetry Prose Watercolor

Thursday, November 06, 2008

Two-Hour Market



bright lights halo
the poet with a book
smiling behind barriers
tabling her qualms

...bookshop patrons, stern
as if passing an open coffin
reluctant to pause
lest the poet turns vocal

like a TV car saleman and
feeds them something
they can't afford or use
with terms they don't cotton to...

sharing words and thoughts
with the sullen and the leery
is not as easy as receiving
part-time publication credits



This piece is written in response to the Totally Optional Prompt post: Marketplace

8 comments:

Linda Jacobs said...

What a wonderful image to begin you poem with!

So well drawn!

Stan Ski said...

Strong message; worded to provoke thought.

anthonynorth said...

A powerful condemnation here. I liked it!

Anonymous said...

I love the images, and the honesty of this.

gautami tripathy said...

You never disappoint!

ribbons of her thoughts

Anonymous said...

I love your similes and and your word choices like "cotton." They give your poem a thoughtful and more interesting feel. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

The more I read this the more I get the sense that the poet and the patrons are metaphors for the beggar and the passers-by. A very provoking piece.

Anonymous said...

Strong images, Susan. I felt like I had lived in some manner both sides of this.