Tumblewords

Fractals Photos Poetry Prose Watercolor

Sunday, January 06, 2008

Wabi Sabi and Mythsteries


Every now and again, I'm hit by absurd flu and revisit my 2000 Mythsteries and Other Pithy Shorts site. It's the only place I've learned to rant while laughing myself into a near coma. These posts have always been great fun for me and knowing that I may be the only one who enjoys them fails to lessen my laughter. So, take a look if you like. If not...

Yesterday I completed reading Wabi Sabi for Writers by Richard Powell even as my head filled with personal haiku thoughts. The book is a fine read with great insight into Basho, and others of his ilk, as well as breakable rules for haiku and related forms.

I love to write from a list of phrases/words pulled out of my stash and Windows Media Player, with visualizations, running on top of my pages. Right now I'm listening to Fragile Beauty. Words, color and music are my favorite prompts.

What is your method of stirring a reluctant muse?

3 comments:

Becca said...

That's a really good question - I think reading something very inspiring, an author whose work I love, usually gets my creative juices flowing. And a hot bath seems to help too!

nonizamboni said...

Oh, music for sure! And words I overhear and that very brief time between daydreaming and falling asleep.
Hope you're on the mend! We are truly in the thick of flu season. Take good care.

Anonymous said...

For me, it is words that prompt me to write most often, though if someone posts a photo as a prompt, I react to that as well. As much as I love music, I normally write in silence.

Feel better! (I'm going to go check out your other site.)