Tumblewords

Fractals Photos Poetry Prose Watercolor

Saturday, August 02, 2008

Do I have to?



Sunday Scribblings offers this prompt. Make of it what you will: "Do I have to?"





Four. words. They. turn. me. into. a. whiner.

Only recently has guilt turned into a goad that makes watching a bad movie turn into a six-hour ordeal. No longer can I get it over with in ninety minutes. Nosirreee, I have to pause every few minutes to move into 'save my arse' mode.

A six-week hospitalization for pneumonia morphed into coming home with a snake oil salesman's bag of pills and illegible prescriptions, a list of instructions longer than a chimpanzee arm and commands that whisper warnings in my head, 'Don't sit down - it's treadmill time. Don't sit down - it's yoga time. Don't sit down...'

Mind you, I've never been much of a sitter but only recently has this voice emerged to guilt me into moving constantly.

As much as I dislike medications, I'll have to admit that the newest discovery of a pill to replace exercise rose almost as high on my bucket list as the 'if you don't feel like cooking, take the green pill'.

Hurry, researchers. I'm counting on you to convert this pushy voice into the soothing sound of, 'Of course, you don't have to. Sit down and read.'





20 comments:

Larraine said...

Sigh...sometimes you just have to! Good one!

Christy Woolum said...

This post rings very true... and those words do bring out a whine don't they?

paisley said...

girl if you ever get a script to the cure for hating housework,, i hope you turn me on to a couple... damn...this was fun,, not often you just write... i love it...

Anonymous said...

I think I have the opposite problem, I find it so much easier to sit still and read books or blogs without even an ounce of guilt my housework isn't done and my belly's getting flabby!!

Forgetfulone said...

I often want to say those four words myself, but I know that yes, I have to... whatever it is I have to do. And where are those little pills that will wash the dishes for us?

Lucy said...

I read about the possibility of an 'exercise pill" ... Where do I sign up?
I really enjoyed reading your writing! I love your poems, but this 'exposed' a new side of you!
thanks for visiting me earlier! ( i have a new one if you're looking for more excuses to sit and read!)

Anonymous said...

Love your descriptions on a simple thing like slimming. Funny post! Great job.

anthonynorth said...

A pill to stop exercise? I've heard of that. It weighs 10lb and you have to pick it up 100 times a day ;-)

Anonymous said...

Sitting down - my favourite passtime. Now, about that pill....

January said...

Hope you're feeling better. Yeah, I hate those four little words, too.

Rambler said...

hmm why not meditation?..I think you will find it really effective

Anonymous said...

Thanks for visiting my blog, yours is an interesting take on the topic: the opposite to how I work but it still seems to makes all of us whine :)

danni said...

i really hate it when i feel like i'm imposing on myself - selfish creature, i guess --- enjoyed your post very much!!!

Fantasies of a Lifetime said...

hey thanks for dropping by my blog....lol, that was one intersting post. . A pill that the exercise!That would be one great gift to mankind :D

Jennifer Hicks said...

"everything in moderation..." the body needs rest and activity in balance. be kind to yourself and make small changes over time - it's the only way to maintain and develop new habits!

rel said...

Sue,
I hear ya girl.
Although, the last time they came up with a fat buster pill it was a heart attack waiting to happen.
I guess I'll have to stick to exercise. ;-)
rel

MeowGoddess said...

Thanks for stopping by.

Sending you a healing bubble full of love and good energy to make the pneumonia go away Sounds like your body is telling you to slow down. And perhaps the whispers are the body's ways of telling you what is truly important to you at this time.

As for pills, why take a substitute when you can experience the real thing in the MOMENT? Tee hee!!!

And a book can now be heard on tape or CD on the treadmill. It's a different kind of experience opening to new sensory experiences.

Wishing you,
Peace & Love, Just Because,
Goddess Diana

Devil Mood said...

Is that what kept you away from us for so long? :(
I hope you're recovering well. I understand your frustration, you have to take care of your health, but make sure you spoil yourself just a tiny bit everyday :)

Anonymous said...

I hope the pills are working at least. I would much rather sit down than exercise.

Melody said...

Thank you for a fun read, but take care of yourself.I don't have that excuse for not being able to sit down and watch a movie. I just can't sit down through a whole movie, I drive everyone crazy! But I can sit for hours and read everyone's blogs. Thank you for commenting on my first one.