Tumblewords

Fractals Photos Poetry Prose Watercolor

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Cohen for ABC Wednesday


Leonard Cohen's voice and style have fascinated me for quite some time. I have favorites songs, of course, but one of his newest, Darkness, makes my heart and feet beat with feelings I thought I'd put to bed in earlier life.


NPR has the first listen of Cohen's new album Old Ideas which was released today. Don't walk, but run there if you like that whisky soaked, smoky low voice of this elder man whose life reads like a novel. Poetry makes sense there as if in an intimate piano bar with a few selected friends and a glass in which Merlot swirls in time to Cohen's gentle rhythm.

I'm going back for a second listen and then I'm scurrying to purchase the album.



♥     ♥    ♥












10 comments:

anthonynorth said...

Ah, no matter what age I reach, the heart and feet will still react to good music.

Joy said...

I caught the end of an interview with him the other day. He seems rejuvenated by his live concerts.

Roger Owen Green said...

I did Leonard back here. well, more like Cohen covers...

ROG, ABC Wednesday team

Chubskulit Rose said...

I only knew the skater Cohen.

Crystal Palace & Carousel

Chubskulit, ABC Wednesday Team

Leslie: said...

We saw Leonard Cohen in Ottawa in the mid-80s when we were on a transfer there. My late husband's actual pick-up line when he met me was, "Want to come over and listen to my Leonard Cohen record?" lol

Leslie
abcw team

Dave King said...

There is absolutely no one like him! Unique.

Reader Wil said...

This is a great tribute to this gifted singer. I also like his songs.
I wish you a great rest of the week.
Wil, ABC Wednesday team.

Carver said...

Great choice for C day. His songs are ones I've enjoyed long before I realized he wrote them since I heard many of them first when covered by others in the late 60s, early 70s or somewhere along then. Carver, ABC Wednesday Team

Paula Scott Molokai Girl Studio said...

Very poetic post! Now I need to go listen to that voice that you love so.

Geraldine said...

I love Leonard Cohen's voice and music. I don't think there's any halfway with him, is there?